Saturday, June 20, 2009

La Bretonniere - Old Grimaud


One of the hidden jewels of the area, this restaurant, hidden in the back streets of Grimaud, is one we have visited several times over the years and somehow not put on our list of special places to eat. We visited it with friends, this week for lunch, and were totally amazed at the quality and imagination of the food put before us. I started with the cassolette of prawns, which was prawns in a cream sauce of saffron and mild curry, which was topped with shredded courgettes. This was not only pretty but absolutely delicious. My wife had one of the best green asparagus risottos that I have ever tasted, with the rice being just of the correct consistency. Memorable! Our friends had Scallops in a cream soup and a seafood risotto. They said they were both cooked amazingly well. For the main course I had my usual steak cooked rare; however I was in for a surprise as it was covered in a sauce of jus de veau and huile de truffe (veal stock and oil of truffles) and it was truly epic, accompanied by small portions of green asparagus, puree carrots and potato dauphinoise. My wife had turbot with the same vegetables and I could see her sitting there grinning and I don’t think it was the wine. One of our friends also had the turbot but the other had pieces of assorted fish in a bouillabaisse soup and once again this was a triumph. I am not sure how to describe the desserts as I am running out of superlatives! Two of us had the crepe au pommes with ice cream on top and these were so tasty and the fine crepes so well cooked that we just marveled, whist out of left eye I could see my wife in ecstasy over her mousse au chocolat with a pile of whipped cream on it and my other friends with his crème Brule.
I am not sure what I can say about further restaurants that follow this one but I guess I must accept that this one is special and if we ate here every week we would probably not appreciate its qualities. The restaurant is open all year and a lovely welcome is assured from the lovely staff. 1 place des Penitents, Grimaud


Mr L


04 94 43 25 26

No comments: